Contract: Full-time sailing season – ending November 2020
Vessel: Moosk, Pegasus and Johanna Lucretia
Location: Plymouth base, for south coast and Channel voyages
Qualifications: Yachtmaster Offshore (commercially endorsed)
To apply: Please submit a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 5 January 2020
We are seeking a Skipper for our sail training fleet for the 2020 season. The job primarily involves skippering school and youth group charters as well as a small number of commercial adult voyages. Principal duties include:
- Undertake charters that will vary in duration and destination
- Decision making and planning
- Delegating responsibilities both in harbour and on passage
- Preparing for the arrival of the charterers
- Working with the charterers collectively or individually in pursuit of their objectives
- Routine maintenance tasks
- Principal duties afloat are;
- To assume authority at all times, to make decisions with regard to the safety of the vessel.
- To ensure compliance with the MCA codes of practise.
- To maintain and train staff in the use of all onboard safety equipment.
- Ensure the safe navigation of the vessel.
- To maintain a watch consistent with the requirements of good seamanship.
- To attend to the needs of customers whilst on board.
Skills and Attributes
The ideal candidate will be:
- Qualified to Yachtmaster Offshore level (commercially endorsed)
- In-date medical qualification e.g. ENG1 or ML5 (essential if not included in above)
- Yachtmaster instructor (sail) preferred
- Prepared to undertake enhanced DBS check and further training as required (essential)
In addition, you’ll need to be:
- Experienced in working with young people (preferred but not essential)
- Able to understand the (sometimes complex) needs of others and moderate working practices and approaches accordingly
- Empathic and compassionate
- A good team player and excellent communicator
We are based in Plymouth, and the vessels will generally be moored at Plymouth Yacht Haven. You may need to join the vessel elsewhere in the UK throughout the season.
There are good opportunities to build a long-term career within the Trust, developing skills and experience in a supportive environment.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a covering letter and CV to email@example.com.
If you would like to discuss the post in more detail, get in touch with Tom Walker, Operations Manager on 07785572680.
Closing date for applications: 5 January 2020
Employment is with The Island Trust’s trading subsidiary Island (Cutter) Ltd.
All voyages are operated by Island (Cutter) Ltd.