Vacancy: First Mate
Contract: Full-time sailing season – March to November 2020
Vessel: Moosk, Pegasus and Johanna Lucretia
Location: Plymouth base, for south coast and Channel voyages
Qualifications: Yachtmaster Offshore level (preferred but not essential), in-date medical e.g. ENG1 or ML5 (essential)
To apply: Please submit a covering letter and CV to email@example.com
Closing Date: 5 January 2020
We have a vacancy for a First Mate to work across all three vessels of our sail training fleet . The job primarily involves supporting and assisting the Skipper in sailing, including:
- Taking over from the Skipper should he/she be incapacitated
- Preparing for the arrival of the charterers
- Assisting with maintenance
- Assisting the Skipper in decision making and planning
- Accepting delegated responsibilities both in harbour and on passage
- Working with the charterers collectively or individually in pursuit of their objectives
- Acting as watch officer whilst on passage
- Attending to the needs of customers whilst on board
- Working with school and youth group charters as well as private hire charters for adults
- Undertake charters that will vary in duration and destination
Skills and Attributes
The ideal candidate will be:
- Qualified to Yachtmaster Offshore level (preferred but not essential)
- In-date medical qualification e.g. ENG1 or ML5 (essential)
- Prepared to undertake DBS check and further training as required (essential)
In addition, you’ll need to be:
- Experienced in working with young people (preferred but not essential)
- Able to understand the (sometimes complex) needs of others and moderate working practices and approaches accordingly
- Empathic and compassionate
- A good team player and excellent communicator
We are based in Plymouth, and the vessels will generally be moored at Plymouth Yacht Haven. You may need to join the vessel elsewhere in the UK throughout the season.
There are good opportunities to build a long-term career within the Trust, developing skills and experience in a supportive environment.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to discuss the post in more detail, get in touch with Tom Walker, Operations Manager on 07785572680.
Closing date for applications: 5 January 2020
Employment is with The Island Trust’s trading subsidiary Island (Cutter) Ltd.
All voyages are operated by Island (Cutter) Ltd.