Vacancy: Skipper – Moosk
Contract: Full-time sailing season – ending November 2019
Vessel: Moosk, 1906 gaff yawl, 58ft, 8 guest berths
Location: Plymouth base, for south coast and Channel voyages
Qualifications: Yachtmaster Offshore (commercially endorsed)
To apply: Please submit a covering letter and CV to email@example.com
Closing Date: 31 May 2019
We are seeking a Skipper for our sail training vessel Moosk in the 2019 season. The job primarily involves skippering school and youth group charters as well as a small number of commercial adult voyages. Principal duties include:
- Undertake charters that will vary in duration and destination
- Decision making and planning
- Delegating responsibilities both in harbour and on passage
- Preparing for the arrival of the charterers
- Working with the charterers collectively or individually in pursuit of their objectives
- Routine maintenance tasks
- Principal duties afloat are;
- To assume authority at all times, to make decisions with regard to the safety of the vessel.
- To ensure compliance with the MCA codes of practise.
- To maintain and train staff in the use of all onboard safety equipment.
- Ensure the safe navigation of the vessel.
- To maintain a watch consistent with the requirements of good seamanship.
- To attend to the needs of customers whilst on board.
Skills and Attributes
The ideal candidate will be:
- Qualified to Yachtmaster Offshore level (commercially endorsed)
- In-date medical qualification e.g. ENG1 or ML5 (essential if not included in above)
- Prepared to undertake enhanced DBS check and further training as required (essential)
In addition, you’ll need to be:
- Experienced in working with young people (preferred but not essential)
- Able to understand the (sometimes complex) needs of others and moderate working practices and approaches accordingly
- Empathic and compassionate
- A good team player and excellent communicator
We are based in Plymouth, and the vessels will generally be moored at Plymouth Yacht Haven. You may need to join the vessel elsewhere in the UK throughout the season.
This role is specifically for a full-time Skipper for Moosk, although you may be required to work and act as Skipper on any other vessel of the Company. There is the potential to gain experience across our wider fleet of three gaff-rigged vessels.
There are good opportunities to build a long-term career within the Trust, developing skills and experience in a supportive environment.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to discuss the post in more detail, get in touch with Tom Walker, Operations Manager on 07785572680.
Closing date for applications: 31 May 2019
Employment is with The Island Trust’s trading subsidiary Island (Cutter) Ltd.
All voyages are operated by Island (Cutter) Ltd.