(Last updated 14/05/18)
Amount Raised £39,314 | Target £395,000
The Next Step Appeal
The Island Trust now has ambitious and exciting plans to expand its fleet. The imperative to purchase a fourth vessel is driven by the demand that The Island Trust cannot currently fulfil. It is also in recognition that for those young people for whom a wholly academic curriculum is not suited (often due to disability, special needs or anti-social behaviour), The Island Trust can equip them with vocational, social and independent living skills. There is increasing opportunity for employment in the marine sector locally, nationally and internationally, especially for those who are suitably qualified.
We have a combination of traditional rigs throughout the fleet and the addition of a topsail gaff schooner is the next logical choice. We have identified a suitable vessel and seek to raise the £395,000 purchase price through our Next Step appeal. The boat will require some internal reconfiguration at a cost of £86,000.
This larger boat would be suitable for the following reasons:
- The increased deck space is particularly important for the profoundly disabled young people that sail with us as it offers extra room for the large bean bags used to ensure their comfort, stability and safety.
- She will extend the range we can sail – opening up new opportunities for our beneficiaries.
- As a sail training vessel, she will necessarily be kept in very good order – which will ensure the preservation of her heritage. Our fleet enables young people to experience ‘living history’ and understand the impact that past maritime activities have had on life today.
- She will be the only UK flagged topsail schooner in sail training.
- We will be able to support over 300 extra young people per year.
Please help us to help those who need assistance to improve their lives.
Get in touch
Help us achieve our goal
Donate by Post
Please make cheques payable to The Island Trust and post to 10 Manston Terrace, Exeter, Devon EX2 4NP, and if you are a UK tax payer don’t forget to include a Gift Aid Declaration form.